Greetings, Story Lovers

Hello and the similarities to greetings,

We may have different preferences, but the commonality between most that are within this community love stories. For myself, I find loving stories to be inherent. One could explain it in great detail, and many could hold different insight on the matter of why we love stories, but the commonality remains true, most of us love stories.

In this modern day, there are endless stories we could experience. That is to say, a human simply could not read every book that is being published, there are too many, and this is probably more of a good thing than bad. This shows that nowadays, we rarely have to spend time looking to find a story that to us make sense, able to connect with, etc etc.

I mean this in multiple medium of course. Television/screenplay, comics/manga, novels. Although each of these are different in sense that you cannot write a novel exactly the same way as you would write a screenplay, but similar in sense of methods of telling a great story.

Now to get to the magic, when you cannot see the methods, it would appear magic. When the methods are fully understood, it have not lost any "magic". The magic is how others human beings carefully craft such intricate stories with a beat and rhythm that is a perfect melody, very much like a musical song without any hints of disharmony.

There's a side of technicality, which is to say how it is performed, how it is executed. That is to say, first you write the sheet music, then performing it is another step. Similarly, the same story can be told many different ways, it can be "performed" many different ways.

There's also a side of creativity, this is the story itself. You could have a great story with poor execution, you could also have poor stories and marvelous execution, but you would need both to craft your masterpiece. That is to say, the greatest story isn't so great if no one can understands it, and someone could have perfect rhymthm and beat, but if their story just isn't "interesting", it just isn't interesting.

Now, there's not one correct way to write a story, no singular formula or methods that would get it done. However! Rejoice, every writer have preferences on how they write and their "process", that is one of the utmost feat to a writer, how they choose to, how they practice and engage in their craft.

A story can be written in many ways, there is no wrong way in my own perspective, although I must argue that understanding the craft (what the craft means to you personally, how you perceive the craft) would empower you to write differently. I say differently here because it has empower me to write better, but I think most would agree that understanding the craft more would cause you to write differently than your previous experiences.

You certainly don't need a college education to be a great writer, it would help in some aspects. If you're a writer though, you write. If you don't know something, you Google it. It could be as simple as that, and it is as simple as that for me. If you're a singer, you sing, you wouldn't stop singing or doubt your abilities because you are not able to attend courses designed to teach you information. Teaching cannot be taugh as I've heard, learning can be.

I'm in no way saying I am a real writer, or a certain level of writer, I am simply saying, I am a writer, that is undeniable. I respect the craft, I engage the craft, even if I didn't though, I would still consider myself a writer, for I have written. Bad or good, it has been written. The simplicity of being a writer is palpable.

If only it were so easy to be a writer? Am I right? Haha. Although, it is easy. It is amazingly easy in sense of starting, just great difficulty in mastering or perhaps feeling fulfilled within your marksmanship of the craft.

I'm still at the beginning I feel like. Although true masters consider themselves to always be learning, you could feel more skillful than you are yesterday, but reaching the end/highest mark of writing is futile, you will always get better. The masters have gotten better with time, so will the rest of us. That is to say, if you think it will get easier, it will become easier on some level, but a certain part of writing will always challenge you.

That is all! If you're a true beginnger, and you don't know where to start, it could feel overwhelming.

Just write. There's no simple advice or class you could take. They certainly help, but writing is a complexity on the level of humanity. A human person is complex, the world is complex, stories are thus complex. You need to understand that it is complex, not how much, but just realize that it is indeed complex.

I could tell you "have compelling conflict, have emotional arc, have beats and rhymths" which are some of the fundamental foundation I find in a large amount of stories. This wouldn't help you much unless you research each of those and how they are practiced within the craft. You could write endless, but perhaps you would write better if you research information to the craft that you were unaware of.

More importantly, is mindset. There is a thick mindset, and a growth mindset. Constructive criticism is more valueble than compliments. Let's say you receive the feedback "the story is interesting, but perhaps character A seems to only exist to serve the plot". This is constructive, it is not meant to hurt, it is written to help a writer.

As a writer, you would need to realize you got a lot of growing to do. Not only in skill, but in the how. Growing isn't painful, unless you want it to be. A growth mindset in this scenario would be excited, it would think "great! now I know what I should read up on", another skill to polish within the writing craft itself.  A thick mindset would think more on the lines of "what would you know?", and see the criticism as an attack or judge of ability.

I felt like writing this post mainly to reflect on what I have learn so far. I am in no way going to re-read or grammar check it right at this second since time is valueble. I'm sure you guys can forgive me on that.

One last note, don't worry about grammar. SHEESH. -laughs- -smile-

It's super important, yes. But if you told me a great story that I can understand, we could go back and fix the grammar later. It is by far the easier task of writing. 

-love  A.A.